Sunday, November 2, 2008

The things you learn about yourself through dating

I started having "boyfriends" at 14 when I moved to my dads. Over the past 18 years of "dating" (8 of which were taken up with marriage) I have learned a lot. About dating, boys and myself. In this blog I'll share a little bit of that knowledge with all of you...

1) I learned that "I love you" doesn't always mean I love you.

2) I learned that just because you share your body, that doesn't mean he'll share his heart.

3) I learned that loving someone doesn't guarantee that they'll love you back.

4) I learned that its better to ride out the ride than to give into your fears and leave the park.

5) I learned you cant measure every boy by the same yard stick

6) I learned that a lot of boys lie, all the time.

7) I learned to not assume that all boys lie.

8) I learned that being seen as fragile can be a bad thing

9) I learned not to be vulnerable around males if it could be helped

10) I learned that some males are psychotic assholes, and that the ones who want to isolate you from your friends are best to run far far away from.

11) I learned that I am a coward when it comes to emotion

12) I learned that confrontation in relationships makes me want to turn tail and run

13) I learned that I can easily become a doormat and I put the other persons wants and needs before my own more often than not

14) I learned that i have more of a "need to please" than is healthy, for me or for the relationship

15) I learned that I have low opinions of my body and am very self concious

16) I learned that talking about sex is fine with me, unless its initiated by someone else and applies to me and specific things I've done, then its embarrassing

17) I learned that the need to feel loved can lead me to do self-destructive things that make me love myself less

18) I learned sex doesn't = love

19) I learned that giving into something you don't want to do to keep from being forced into it only offers the illusion of control, not control itself.

20) I learned that your own opinion of yourself is more important than others opinions of you, but that its often hard to convince yourself of that fact

21) I learned not to wrap my own opinion of myself up in what the males in my life thought of me

22) I learned not to rely on others for my happiness

23) I learned that it is very important to be able to depend on yourself, be self-sufficient and always have a back up plan

24) I learned that I am more neurotic in relationships than I care to admit to

25) I've learned that Cosmo relationship quizzes are wrong more often than not

1 comment:

Melissa Christensen said...

Ha! So true about the cosmo quizzes. Those are great lessons, aren't you glad you went through those relationships so you could discover what you needed to learn? Hee hee. Anyway, yes the blue tooth is still at Dianes and my blog isn't finished. Thanks for reminding me, i guess i'll do that tonight.